A common question we're asked: Does Medicare cover my lift chair?
The answer is: sometimes they cover part of it. If the patient meets certain conditions, Medicare may cover 80% of the cost of the lift mechanism itself, but not the cost of the rest of the chair. In the state of Michigan, this is 80% of approximately $300 (or $240). In order to qualify, the patient has to meet the following conditions:
- You aren't able to stand up on your own from a regular chair.
- You have severe arthritis in your knee or hip, or have sever neuromuscular disease.
- You can operate the lift chair by yourself.
- Once you’re standing, you can walk, even if it's with the help of a mobility aid.
- You haven't used Medicare to pay for a wheelchair, scooter, or walking aid in the last five years.
SO! If you meet all of these qualifications, you will then need to find an in-network Medicare provider and begin the pre-authorization process. This process can take up to 12 weeks, before your chair can even be ordered. Lead times after ordering can be as little as two weeks, to as many as 16 weeks.
What we have found with our customers is that after 6 months of waiting for their lift chair, they FINALLY have it delivered and set up - but they waited 6 months to save 240 dollars. That savings is definitely worth it to some people, but others would have preferred to have their chair by now!
Can MI MED do something to offset that $240? You bet we can! If the patient has documentation from their doctor that they meet all qualifying scenarios for Medicare to help cover their lift chair, we can offer:
- $150 off a qualifying chair
- Waived sales tax
- $100 gift card towards a future purchase
- Delivery and set up in less than two weeks (does not apply to extra-wide or bariatric chairs).
Not to mention, there are so many other reasons to buy your lift chair from us! We offer white glove delivery and set up, educating you on proper use of your lift chair. We service and repair chairs purchased from us for life, with generally no labor charges. We also sell the best chairs on the market with the best manufacturer warranty. Plus, doesn't it make you feel good to shop local and give business to small, family owned companies?
Call or visit us today to discuss your options!